Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lunging

Today I went to the barn my horse (Summer) is boarded at and I hadn't ridden her in a while so I thought I should lunge her first. I don't know if you know what lunging is or not, but all it is is that you take a lunge line and clip it to one of the sides of the horse's halter and then put the rest of the lunge line in one of your hands. Then you take a long whip and hold it in your other hand (the free hand which will be closer to the horse's back end). I just figured out today that my horse really doesn't know how to lunge at all! I thought she was just being naughty, but I figured out that she just doesn't know how to do it! The main point is to be by the horse's hip or close to his/her back end and then get the horse to move in circles around you while you hold the lunge line. Now, since she doesn't know how, I have to keep the lunge line really short so she'll learn. This must sound very confusing...so here's a video showing how it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDKLX1uXlg It explains it a little better also! Have a great day and, hopefully, learn how to lunge your horse! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hell!
    It doesn't sound cunfusing at all! Maybe it doesn't sound cunfunsing to me because I already new what lunging is! LOL! :) That sounds like fun to get to lunge! But it doesn't sound fun if your horse doesn't no how to lunge :) I hope Summer will learn very soon!

    *Lizzie*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought she was just acting up when we tried to lunge her that time, but I think you're right! It might not have been our clapping that made her rear! She just didn't know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Lizzie: Thanks, I did a little more lunging training with her yesterday, too, and she was really good!

    For Lena: That's what I thought too!!!! But Summer was kind of acting up again on I think Tuesday and I asked one of the ladies there to help me and she told me she didn't know!! :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Lena again: Like the lady said that Summer didn't know how to lunge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for all of your comments! Have a wonderful day!